You want to sell your Parkersburg house, and you want to get top dollar.
Excellent! I’ve spent years trying to do the same thing with all of my houses!
If you’re asking,
But “What do I need to do to sell my house in Parkersburg“?
Here are some tips on how to get your home ready to sell if you’re looking for top dollar that the market will bear:
*NOTE: These instructions are if you’re looking to get full retail value for your house sale. However, if you don’t want to do the things below… or don’t have the time or money to do the things below… you can still sell your Parkersburg house fast for a fair value in a win-win sale that’ll save you time and expense.
1) Clean, clean and clean. Even if you think your house is clean enough, clean more. Leave the house spotless. When a buyer comes in to look at your house, they are imagining themselves living in the house and they can’t do that if your house is dirty or if it smells bad. If you aren’t much of a cleaner, hire someone. From my experience, you can get the entire house cleaned for $300-$400 and it will pay off big time for you.
If you’re a slob, consider finding somewhere else to live while you show your house. Maybe you can bribe your cleanest friend to trade houses with you? Seriously, keeping everything immaculate really helps buyers feel comfortable in your space. Nothing stops people faster from buying faster than feeling grossed out. Make sure it’s organized, cleaned, and smelling nice if you want to sell your Parkersburg house fast for top dollar.
2) Cultivate a cohesive, neutral style. Choose a nice neutral paint theme that will tie the house together, brighten it up, and make it look clean and sharp. Your use of colors can affect the buyers perception of the house. For example, a soft yellow, tan, or light grey will brighten up a dark room and make it look bigger and roomier. Spend the time or money on painting, it’s probably the cheapest and easiest thing you can do to get more out of your house.
Spend the money to get high-quality paint and professional help. Subconsciously people will pay more money for a property with just the right colors and very neat lines – it makes the home feel better built, even though it’s just paint.
Optical illusions are real, and psychologists study this stuff. Don’t believe me?
Look it up. And don’t neglect the outside and just do the inside, or anything else that’s unbalanced. Good painting can transform the outside of a house, let me show you what I mean.
I sold this house in November of 2021 and you can see what a difference exterior paint makes. I spent about $300 and 1 day of work to make this much of a difference.
3) Fix or replace anything that’s broken. That broken dishwasher that hasn’t been used in two years doesn’t have to be fixed, but if you want top dollar, you better do it. Most buyers will get an inspection and every little thing they find on it will be required to get fixed or it will be a negotiating point. You also run the risk of getting accused of fraud if you try to hide stuff.
Make sure you stay in compliance with all the laws.
It’s often a good use of money to hire a home inspector to come through before you put the property on the market. If you ask in advance, they’ll often charge you a tiny rate to come back after you’ve done a bunch of minor repairs and deliver you a clean bill of health. Prospective buyers love to see an independent report on the condition of the house – it makes them feel very comfortable with the purchase, and it can let them be well informed before making a decision. This can be really important if you’re not using a realtor.
4) Make only necessary improvements. The biggest mistake people make when getting their house ready to sell is over-improving. They often spend too much money on customized frills that can’t be recovered in the sale.
Paint is about the only safe investment – it’s easy to overspend on almost everything else, and it’s easy to get ripped off by unscrupulous contractors. If you don’t know what buyers look for in a house and what will be a good investment, ask someone with market knowledge.
It’s important to know what improvements will produce a return on investment to avoid wasting money.
5) Get expert opinions. You should definitely find at least a few decent real estate brokers who will help you price your property, but be honest with them. If you’re going to market the property on your own, don’t make enemies by lying about your intentions. Great brokers are rare, but they make more money for their clients than they earn. Offer to pay them to make a CMA (comparative market analysis) for you, so you know exactly what to list your home for.
6) Have a really great marketing plan. Again, great brokers earn their value by doing this work and spreading the advertising expenses across many clients. It’s pretty expensive and time-consuming to start from scratch on your own, but if you’re already a marketing expert you’re ahead of the pack.
A great realtor or broker can earn their money if they run a great marketing campaign for you, but if you’re looking to do it yourself if leave with the most money in your pocket then you’ll need to market on your own. The good news is that with Facebook, Zillow, and other sites like that you can reach pretty much all the buyers out there pretty quickly and easily. The share-ability of Facebook posts makes it my personal favorite, if you post a house on there then people will share it with the people they know are looking for a house.
If you’re not an experienced seller, spend the time listening to what the best brokers do to sell houses in Parkersburg – just to educate yourself on the options. The good news is that if you’re house is in a great area thats in high demand and low supply, you almost won’t have to worry about advertising. It will sell itslef.
7) Get a cash offer. We buy houses all over the Parkersburg area, and we do all the work so you don’t have to deal with any of this stuff. Skip the hassle, wait, and headache and sell to us with no closing costs, commissions, or worry.
Don’t Want To Do The Things Above Yourself? But Still Want To Sell Your Parkersburg WV House Fast?
While everyone wants to get as much as they possibly can from their house sale… not everyone can do the things or wants to do the things required to sell it at full retail value to an end buyer.
Doing the repairs, cleaning the property up, upgrading the property, marketing the property… those all take money and can take lots of time.
If you have the funds to do these things... AND you can wait the 3-9 months it takes to sell houses in this market… then you’ll be better off financially to do those things then list it on the MLS (the main property listing service that real estate agents use).
If you don’t have the funds to do these things... AND can’t wait months to sell your house… then you may be a perfect fit for our local Parkersburg house buying service. You’ll submit basic info about your house over here on our website, we’ll evaluate your house, we’ll make you a fair all-cash offer on your house, and you can decide if it’s a fit for you.
Then we can close FAST (often times within 7 days) if you need us to.
Take a look at what we’ll pay you not to do anything versus the time, expense and hassle involved with doing it on your own.
So if you’re still asking “what do I need to do to sell my house in Parkersburg“… now you have 2 solid options.
- Fix the property up and get it all nice and ready with the steps above to sell it at top dollar
- Let us do all of the work and we’ll make you a cash offer on your house in AS-IS condition. This saves you time, money, and gets the hassle off of your hands.
If you need to sell a property near Parkersburg, we can help you.
We buy properties like yours from people who need to sell fast. If you want to do it yourself, we’re more than happy to offer any advice we can to help you out. Just call or message us and well answer any question you have to the best of our ability.